Cooking time: 20-25 mins.
Preparation time: 30-35 mins.
Main cooking utensils: 2 6- to 7-in. Square cake pans
Oven temperature: 375°F
Oven position: toward top
For 8-10 servings you need:
¾ cup butter
¾ cup sugar
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
Chocolate butter frosting
¾ cup butter
3 cups sifted confectioners sugar
2 1-oz. squares semisweet chocolate, melted
2 eating apples
little lemon juice
- Cream together butter and sugar until soft and light.
- Gradually beat in eggs.
- Fold in sifted flour, baking powder, and cocoa.
- Put in the two greased and lined pans and bake until firm to the touch.
- When cool, cut a 2-inch slice from each square for the roof.
- Cream the butter and beat in the confectioners’ sugar.
- Take 1/4 cup of frosting for the piping.
- Add melted chocolate to the remainder and beat well.
- Sandwich cakes together with some of the frosting to form the house.
- Place smaller pieces together on top to form roof.
- Cover entire cake with chocolate frosting.
- Pie the reserved white frosting in the shape of a door and window. Any left over may be used to pipe a border around the bottom of the house.
- Place sliced apple dipped in lemon juice on roof to form slates. Top with a marshmallow chimney.
PRINTED IN CANADA. © Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd. 1967