6 slices bacon, quartered
10-inch unbaked pie shell
1 cup grated natural Swiss cheese
1½ cups light cream
½ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
⅛ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon dried oregano leaves
3 medium white onions, sliced
1 can (8 oz) whole tomatoes, undrained
¼ teaspoon sugar
½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
¼ lb mozzarella cheese
12 pitted black olives
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Make Quiche: Sauté bacon until crips; drain on paper towels. Reserve 2 tablespoons bacon fat.
- In bottom of pie shell, sprinkle two-thirds of bacon with grated cheese.
- In medium bowl, beat eggs with cream, salt, nutmeg, pepper, and organ until smooth. Pour into pie shell. Bake 30 minutes, or until golden and sharp knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, make Sauce: In reserved bacon fat in medium skillet, sauté onion several minutes, until tender. Add tomatoes, sugar, and thyme. Simmer, stirring, 15 minutes, or until mixture is slightly thickened. Slice mozzarella into 3½-by-½-inch slices.
- Garnish top of Quiche with mozzarella strips, spoke fashion, alternating with tomatoes mixture. Sprinkle with rest of bacon. Spoon remaining tomato mixture into center. Decorate with olives.
- Bake 5 minutes longer to melt cheese slightly. Serve warm. Makes 8 servings.
© Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. printed in U.S.A.