1 tablespoon salad or olive oil
1 1/2 lb ground chuck
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1 can (8 1/4 oz) tomatoes, undrained
1 can (8 1/2 oz) kidney beans, undrained
1/2 cup red wine
1 pkg (12 oz) corn muffin mix
1 can (8 3/4 oz) cream-style corn
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup grated Cheddar cheese
1. In hot oil in heavy, 10-inch skillet, sauté beef, onion and garlic until beef is browned – about 5 minutes.
2. Add chili powder, salt, oregano, basil, and tomatoes; mix well. Cook over low heat, covered, 30 minutes. Stir in kidney beans and wine, and cook 10 minutes longer.
3. Preheat oven to 400F.
4. In medium bowl, combine corn muffin mix, corn,egg, and milk; mix just until muffing mix is moistened.
5. Skim fat from meat mixture in skillet, and discard. Spread muffin mixture over meat mixture evenly.
6. Bake 25 minutes, or until top is golden brown. Let stand in skillet 2 minutes, then invert onto serving platter. Garnish with grated cheese and parsley. Serve with catsup.
Makes 8 servings.
©Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.