Cooking time: 25-30 mins.
Preparation time: 15 mins.
Main cooking utensil: 1 saucepan
For 4 people you need:
4-6 lamb or pig kidneys
5 slices bacon
1 large onion
2-4 tablespoons shortening or butter
1¼ cups stock
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3-4 tablespoons water
rice or toast for serving
- Skin and core the kidneys, cut into small pieces; cut bacon into small pieces; slice the onion.
- Heat the shortening in the pan and fry kidneys, back, and onion together until the onion is soft and golden brown.
- Pour in the stock, simmer for approximately 15 minutes, seasoning well.
- Start cooking rice, if used.
- Blend the cornstarch with the water and add to the kidney mixture, cook for several minutes, stirring all the time.
TO SERVE: Arrange in a border of cooked rice or on toast.
TO VARY: Use half stock and half tomato juice; add ½-1 cup sliced mushrooms. Blend the cornstarch with port instead of water.
TO STORE: The kidney and bacon mixture may be kept in a cool place and reheated thoroughly.
Printed in Canada. © Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd 1967