Jellied Lamb Salad
Cooking time: 20-25 mins.
Preparation time: 15 mins. plus time for aspic to set
Main cooking utensils: broiler or skillet, saucepan
For 4 people you need:
8 small lamb cutlets
3/4 lb. sliced green beans*
generous 1 tablespoon gelatin
2 1/3 cups water
3 hard-cooked eggs
1 large tomato
1/2 red sweet pepper
small green sweet pepper
*Or use mixed vegetables
1. Fry or broil cutlets until tender; cool.
2. Cook beans lightly; season and drain. Arrange at bottom of dish with cutlets on top.
3. Soak the gelatin in 1/4 cup of the cold water. Dissolve it in the remaining hot water. Cool.
4. Pour three-fourths of the jelly over the beans and meat.
5. Allow this to set, but keep the remaining aspic in a warm place.
6. When the aspic begins to set arrange halved rings of egg round dish, and whole rings on top of 4 cutlets.
7. Put capers on top of the egg slices.
8. Cut carrots into rings (use a fancy cutter if wished for a fluted edge) and put on the other 4 cutlets.
9. Skin and peel tomato, put slices down center of dish with pieces of red and green sweet pepper.
10. Brush egg slices round edge of aspic to keep them moist; pour remainder over to of garnishes – be careful not to dislodge them.
TO SERVE: Cold with lettuce, etc.
Printed in Canada. © Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd. 1967