The addition of beans to the filling and a spicy whole wheat crust make this pizza as flavorful and nutritious as it is attractive and inexpensive.
For 1 12-inch pizza you will need:
Whole Wheat Shell (recipe follows)
1/2 lb. hot Italian sausages
1 can (16 oz.) pork and beans with tomato sauce
1/4 tsp. dried oregano leaves, crumbled
1 tomato, thinly sliced
6 oz. sliced Mozzarella cheese, Grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
Whole Wheat Shell: Pour 2/3 cup warm water (105°F to 115°F) into bowl. Sprinkle with 1 pkg. active dry yeast. Let stand 5 min. Add 1 Tbsp. oil, 3/4 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. black pepper. Stir in about 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour. Turn out on lightly floured surface and knead 5 to 8 min. Place into oiled bowl, turning to oil top. Cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in warm place about 1 1/2 hrs.
1. Punch down raised pizza dough and fit into 12-inch pizza pan.
2. Remove casings from sausages. Crumble meat into skillet. Cook, stirring frequently until meat is well browned. Pour off fat.
3. Add pork and beans and oregano to sausage, mixing well. Spread over pizza shell.
4. Bake to 425°F to 10 min. Arrange tomato and cheese slices over hot pizza. Sprinkle generously with grated cheese.
5. Return to oven. Bake 10 min. longer. Cut into wedges and serve at once.
Good served with: Coleslaw.
Tips: You can substitute a ready-made pizza dough for the Whole Wheat Shell, if you wish.
©MCMLXXXIV My Great Recipes. All Rights Reserved. Printed In Holland