Cooking time: 35 mins.
Preparation time: 20 mins.
Main cooking utensils: pie pan, skillet
Oven temperature: 425-450°F, then 350-375°F.
Oven position: above center
For 4-6 people you need:
1½ cups all-purpose flour
½-1 teaspoon dry mustard
6 tablespoons butter
½ cup dry grated Cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons water
1 shallot or onion
2 tablespoons butter
⅔ cup shelled prawns
⅔ cup coffee cream
salt and black pepper
1-2 teaspoons made mustard
2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
parsley or fennel
- Sift flour, salt, and mustard, rub in butter.
- Add cheese and bind together with water to form a firm dough.
- Roll out and line greased ring or pie pan. Flute edges and prick bottom.
- Chill if possible.
- Bake blind for 15 minutes on a baking sheet in 425-450° oven.
- Fry chopped onion in butter, blend with eggs, and stir in all other ingredients, except tomatoes.
- Pour into half-baked pie shell, arrange sliced tomatoes on top. Bake for about 20 minutes until custard has set in a 350-375° oven.
- Garnish with parsley or fennel and prawn heads.
TO SERVE: Hot or cold.
TO VARY: Add milk instead of cream, use small can pink salmon instead of prawns, and garnish with lemons.
TO STORE: In refrigerator.
PRINTED IN CANADA. ©Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd. 1967
Pingback: Fiesta Tart — Vintage Recipe Cards | My Meals are on Wheels