Preparation time: 20 min.
Creamed dishes can be elegant and economical. This cream sauce, made with milk and broth, is a perfect complement for ham and hard-cooked eggs. Spoon over steaming old-fashioned cornbread.
For 4 servings you will need:
1 cup diced, cooked ham
2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
⅔ cup warm milk
⅓ cup chicken broth
⅛ tsp. white pepper
2 hard-cooked eggs
2 Tbsp. chopped chives
- Use a ham slice or leftover ham. Trim off visible fat.
- Melt butter in a skillet. Add flour and cook over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Slowly stir in the milk and broth.
- Quarter eggs. Add carefully with the ham to the cream sauce. Don’t stir.
- Cut large squares of cornbread, heated if possible. Split.
- Spoon mixture over halves. Sprinkle with chives.
Good served with: A chicory and romaine salad tossed with an oil and vinegar dressing, steaming mugs of coffee and pecans sugar cookies.
Tips: An honest-to-goodness cornbread has a rich, brown crust and a somewhat gritty bite. Try Whole Grain Corn Bread and taste the difference. Sauce Aurore can be used for a variation, adding 1 to 2 Tbsp. of tomato purée to the cream sauce. Sprinkle paprika over completed dish.
©️MCMLXXXV MY GREAT RECIPES. ®️ ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. PRINTED IN HOLLAND.