Cooking time: 45 mins
Preparation time: 20 mins
Main cooking utensil: ovenproof dish
Oven temperature: 375°F
Oven position: above center
For 6 servings you need:
6 medium baking apples, cored
1/2 cup mincemeat
Scant 1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
2 cups shredded coconut
1. Slit apple skins to prevent their breaking.
2. Stand apples in a little water in dish
3. fill centers with mincemeat
4. Bake until cooked but still slightly firm
5. Remove and cool
6. Cream butter, sugar, lemon rind, and juice.
7. Cover each apple with butter icing and decorate with coconut.
TO SERVE: Decorate each apple with holly sprig and candle just before serving
TO VARY: Fill with jam or bramble jelly instead of mincemeat
Printed in Canada. © Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd. 1967