Preparation time: 25 min.
Baking time: 25 to 30 min.
Oven temperature: 375°F
These little puffs taste like cake doughnuts but are as easy to make as a batch of muffins. After baking, you roll them in melted butter and then in a mixture of sugar and cinnamon.
For 12 muffnuts you will need:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. each ground coriander and ground allspice, optional
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
1 egg, slightly beaten
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Tips: For variations, you can add 1/2 cup chopped nuts, raisins, dates or chocolate chips to the batter before filling muffin tins.
1. In large mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, coriander and allspice, if used, and the 1/2 cup sugar.
2. Cut in shortening until mixture is coarsely crumbly. Beat egg and milk. Pour over dry ingredients. Stir just until flour is moistened.
3. Fill greased muffin pans 1/2 to 2/3 full. Bake at 375°F for 25 to 30 min. or until lightly browned.
4. Meanwhile, melt 1/4 cup butter and place in small dish. Mix sugar and cinnamon.
5. Roll hot muffins in butter and then immediately serve in cinnamon-sugar. Serve hot.
©MCMLXXXIV My Great Recipes. All Rights Reserved. Printed in Holland.
Yet ANOTHER recipe I’d eat (even though they just stuck the raisins and chocolate chips on top!)
1984. I knew there was something different about the picture! No garish reds, oranges, or avocado greens!
I have made these for years (since I have these recipes cards). I don’t us raisins or anything. They are always well received. Just like cinnamon sugar donuts!
I have made these for years (since I got these recipes cards when they came out). No raisins or anything, but they are always well received. Taste just like cinnamon sugar donuts without any fuss!
Pingback: Recipe Poetry – Pen Prompts