Preparation time: 30 min.
Rising time: 30 min.
Baking time: 25 to 30 min.
Oven temperature: 300°F
These bread sticks are a flavorful and crunchy addition to meals. If you wish, you can form them into words to suit the occasion, such as “Happy Birthday,” “Good Luck,” “Bon Voyage,” or “Congratulations.”
For 18 sticks you will need:
2 pkgs. active dry yeast
1 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 cups warm water (105°F to 115°F)
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup shredded cheese
3 to 3/12 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. salt
1 egg white beaten with 1 Tbsp. water
Sesame or poppy seeds
1. Dissolve yeast with sugar in warm water. Let stand 5 min. Add oil. Add cheese.
2. Stir in 1 cup of the flour mixture and salt, mixing well. Add remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time until dough is spongy.
3. Knead on lightly floured surface until dough is smooth and satiny. Cover. Let rest 5 min.
4. Shape dough into an 18-inch roll. Cut into 1-inch pieces. Let dough rest 5 min. longer.
5. Roll each piece into a bread stick, using your palms to stretch dough. Brush with egg white-water mixture.
6. Roll in sesame or poppy seeds. Place on greased baking sheets about 1-inch apart. Sprinkle with salt. Let rise about 30 min. until puffy.
7. Bake at 300°F for 25 to 30 min. until golden brown and crisp.
Good served with: Soups, stews or salads. Or with cocktails as a change from crackers.
Tips: Place seeds on waxed paper and roll breadsticks in them. This procedure will keep more seeds on the sticks and fewer on the baking sheets. Refrigerate bread sticks in airtight containers to preserve crispness. Heat before serving.
©MCMLXXXIV My Great Recipes. All Rights Reserved. Printed In Holland
One of the few vintage recipes that actually looks GOOD!
Reblogged this on Make It For Me Now.