Skip to content

2 tablespoons vinegar
1 cup shredded carrot
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup finely shredded cabbage
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 can (4 oz) chopped pimiento

1. In small saucepan, combine gelatine, sugar, and salt; mix well.

2. Add 1 cup water. Heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar and gelatine are dissolved. Remove from heat.

3. Stir in apple juice, lemon juice, vinegar, and 1/4 cup cold water. Pour into medium bowl. Refrigerate 1 hour, or until mixture is consistency of unbeaten egg white.

4. Add carrot, celery, cabbage, green pepper, and pimiento; stir until well combined.

5. Turn into decorative, 1 1/2-quart mold. Refrigerate 4 hours,or until firm.

6. To unmold: Run small spatula around edge of mold; invert onto serving plate. Place hot dishcloth over mold; shake gently to release. Repeat, if necessary. Lift off mold. refrigerate until ready to serve.

Makes 8 servings.

©Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.

About these ads
23 Comments leave one →
  1. Marlene Larson permalink
    January 9, 2014 9:08 pm

My husband’s aunt actually made something very much like this and served it in a ring mold with a cup of Miracle Whip type topping to spoon on the salad. I enjoyed it!

2. DetroitJanice permalink
    January 9, 2014 11:46 pm

This is my 88 year old Aunt’s standby potluck recipe. It’s actually really good. Think lemony sweet & sour coleslaw!

3. Seb h permalink
    January 10, 2014 12:48 am

What fresh hell is this

• Marvac permalink
      January 10, 2014 2:39 am

Have you actually tried it? Or were you just pretending to be a child?

• erika permalink
      January 14, 2014 3:03 am

Be a child all you want. This made me laugh!

4. Tser permalink
    January 10, 2014 6:05 am

Had something like this all the time growing up! I actually loved it, even as a kid. Ours had no pimentos or green peppers, sometimes had shredded apples, and was usually lime flavored. I’m vegetarian now (gelatin is not vegetarian) but if I had a vegetarian version made with agar or something I would eat it again.

5. January 10, 2014 6:06 am

6. January 11, 2014 3:59 am

Wow. Gelatin and pimientos were hot in the ’60’s.

I’m sure it doesn’t taste horrible, but it absolutely looks it. I never understood the appeal of food encased in gelatin. It just looks sad. And trapped. And gross.

7. Anne May permalink
    January 11, 2014 4:31 am

Never had this version, but love me some gelee, or jelly mould. Great in the summer

8. January 13, 2014 2:23 am

1950s husband comes home from work to this slop on the table, says “honey, I told you I’d unclog the kitchen drain this weekend.”

9. Carolyn M. Edwards permalink
    January 21, 2014 9:56 am

I remember this recipe — it was something called Aspic — I thought it was pretty good, but I also liked school cafeteria food too.

• May 5, 2014 4:52 pm

No no, aspic was tomato juice with unflavored gelatin and veggies added

10. January 23, 2014 12:29 am

Reblogged this on Just A Mum and commented:
    Just in case you were wondering where the salads where on my blog – shall we start here…….

11. January 23, 2014 12:30 am

Oooh looks tasty! Have reblogged to http://www.justamumnz.wordpress,com as I couldn’t resist this being my first salad recipe! lol

12. January 24, 2014 4:11 am

I’m making this for a retro ladies’ luncheon this Saturday. I’ll let you know how it turns out. Unflavored gelatin is a new frontier for me.

13. mulan permalink
    February 18, 2014 11:23 pm

my husband had this as a kid. it made him throw up. just looking at the picture made him throw up a little bit again.

14. Jan Munsey permalink
    March 31, 2014 1:21 am

Ah, memories! My mom made perfection salad when it was a ‘special occasion’ meal, but usually in a ring mold with (as another poster described) a bowl of Miracle Whip in the center. We all liked it—-you might, too, if you could get over your preconceived notions!

15. May 5, 2014 4:50 pm

This used to be a must have at our church dinners when I was a kid!

16. Julie R permalink
    August 26, 2014 5:57 pm

We make and enjoy Perfection Salad every Thanksgiving, although my family’s version is a bit updated from this one. It’s delicious! The recipe we use is here: http://www.food.com/recipe/perfection-salad-27320

Trackbacks

1. 5 of the worst recipes ever invented? - smokebark.com
  2. 12 Weirdest Retro Recipes | Dippy Monkey
  3. Retro Recipes That Don’t Need To Make A Comeback. Ever. | VBMS
  4. Retro Recipes That Don’t Need To Make A Comeback. Ever. – Ghehe.com - Funny Videos, Funny Clips & Funny Pictures