Skip to content

2 tablespoons vinegar
1 cup shredded carrot
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup finely shredded cabbage
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 can (4 oz) chopped pimiento

1. In small saucepan, combine gelatine, sugar, and salt; mix well.

2. Add 1 cup water. Heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar and gelatine are dissolved. Remove from heat.

3. Stir in apple juice, lemon juice, vinegar, and 1/4 cup cold water. Pour into medium bowl. Refrigerate 1 hour, or until mixture is consistency of unbeaten egg white.

4. Add carrot, celery, cabbage, green pepper, and pimiento; stir until well combined.

5. Turn into decorative, 1 1/2-quart mold. Refrigerate 4 hours,or until firm.

6. To unmold: Run small spatula around edge of mold; invert onto serving plate. Place hot dishcloth over mold; shake gently to release. Repeat, if necessary. Lift off mold. refrigerate until ready to serve.

Makes 8 servings.

©Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.

Advertisements
38 Comments leave one →
  1. Marlene Larson permalink
    January 9, 2014 9:08 pm

My husband’s aunt actually made something very much like this and served it in a ring mold with a cup of Miracle Whip type topping to spoon on the salad. I enjoyed it!

2. DetroitJanice permalink
    January 9, 2014 11:46 pm

This is my 88 year old Aunt’s standby potluck recipe. It’s actually really good. Think lemony sweet & sour coleslaw!

3. Seb h permalink
    January 10, 2014 12:48 am

What fresh hell is this

• Marvac permalink
      January 10, 2014 2:39 am

Have you actually tried it? Or were you just pretending to be a child?

• moby permalink
        January 24, 2015 5:57 pm

This looks absolutely disgusting

• erika permalink
      January 14, 2014 3:03 am

Be a child all you want. This made me laugh!

4. Tser permalink
    January 10, 2014 6:05 am

Had something like this all the time growing up! I actually loved it, even as a kid. Ours had no pimentos or green peppers, sometimes had shredded apples, and was usually lime flavored. I’m vegetarian now (gelatin is not vegetarian) but if I had a vegetarian version made with agar or something I would eat it again.

5. January 10, 2014 6:06 am

6. January 11, 2014 3:59 am

Wow. Gelatin and pimientos were hot in the ’60’s.

I’m sure it doesn’t taste horrible, but it absolutely looks it. I never understood the appeal of food encased in gelatin. It just looks sad. And trapped. And gross.

7. Anne May permalink
    January 11, 2014 4:31 am

Never had this version, but love me some gelee, or jelly mould. Great in the summer

8. January 13, 2014 2:23 am

1950s husband comes home from work to this slop on the table, says “honey, I told you I’d unclog the kitchen drain this weekend.”

9. Carolyn M. Edwards permalink
    January 21, 2014 9:56 am

I remember this recipe — it was something called Aspic — I thought it was pretty good, but I also liked school cafeteria food too.

• May 5, 2014 4:52 pm

No no, aspic was tomato juice with unflavored gelatin and veggies added

• marjorie zimmerman permalink
        February 19, 2017 4:35 am

actually, aspic is made with a meat stock and the base for meat or seafood. gelee (jelly) is similar and that is what Perfection Salad is. it is lovely and i had it at the famed Camelback Inn in Scottsdale, AZ. the idea is quite French and still used today by great chefs. check out the Netflix documentary about Great Chefs and you will see them make gelees. i don’t care for pimentos so i would probably substitute red peppers which would take care of the required pimentos and green peppers.
        i like the idea of using apple juice…that is unique in this recipe and the acid is reversed quantity, i guess to make up for the sweetness of the apple juice. it is usually 1/2 c. vinegar:2 T. lemon juice.
        love your remark about school food. two i recall that were superb….one was the best mashed potatoes with some sort of hamburger in gravy in the well of the potatoes. that was before instant when the cooks cooked (a long time ago) and since it was in the South, they knew how to make gravy.
        The other was so weird….a sandwich of american cheese (which i cannot abide now) with mayo and one (1) hamburger dill in the middle. everyone ate around the pickle, saving it for last. i continued to eat this delight for many years as an adult but changed to cheddar. for some reason, it didn’t occur to me until late in life that i could afford to ‘pickle’ the whole darned sandwich. slow learner.

10. January 23, 2014 12:29 am

Reblogged this on Just A Mum and commented:
    Just in case you were wondering where the salads where on my blog – shall we start here…….

11. January 23, 2014 12:30 am

Oooh looks tasty! Have reblogged to http://www.justamumnz.wordpress,com as I couldn’t resist this being my first salad recipe! lol

12. January 24, 2014 4:11 am

I’m making this for a retro ladies’ luncheon this Saturday. I’ll let you know how it turns out. Unflavored gelatin is a new frontier for me.

13. mulan permalink
    February 18, 2014 11:23 pm

my husband had this as a kid. it made him throw up. just looking at the picture made him throw up a little bit again.

14. Jan Munsey permalink
    March 31, 2014 1:21 am

Ah, memories! My mom made perfection salad when it was a ‘special occasion’ meal, but usually in a ring mold with (as another poster described) a bowl of Miracle Whip in the center. We all liked it—-you might, too, if you could get over your preconceived notions!

15. May 5, 2014 4:50 pm

This used to be a must have at our church dinners when I was a kid!

16. Julie R permalink
    August 26, 2014 5:57 pm

We make and enjoy Perfection Salad every Thanksgiving, although my family’s version is a bit updated from this one. It’s delicious! The recipe we use is here: http://www.food.com/recipe/perfection-salad-27320

17. Marco permalink
    February 11, 2015 3:30 pm

It looks like something that would attack you in the earliest levels of any random RPG.

Trackbacks

1. 5 of the worst recipes ever invented? - smokebark.com
  2. 12 Weirdest Retro Recipes | Dippy Monkey
  3. Retro Recipes That Don’t Need To Make A Comeback. Ever. | VBMS
  4. Retro Recipes That Don’t Need To Make A Comeback. Ever. – Ghehe.com - Funny Videos, Funny Clips & Funny Pictures
  5. Retro Recipes That Don’t Need To Make A Comeback. Ever. | OMGZ lol
  6. Retro Recipes That Don’t Need To Make A Comeback. Ever. | The Awesome Improve
  7. Retro Recipes That Don’t Need To Make A Comeback. Ever. | VMedia
  8. 25 Vintage Recipes That Will Take Away Your Appetite | Share over 1000+ HOT Video
  9. Retro Recipes That Don’t Need To Make A Comeback. Ever. | BlogFactory
  10. 21 Truly Upsetting Vintage Recipes
  11. 21 Truly Upsetting Vintage Recipes | mrweedwacker
  12. Throwback Thursday: Horrible Retro Recipes – The Housewife Modern
  13. Retro Recipes That Don't Need To Make A Comeback. Ever. - Viral Turn
  14. Retro Recipes That Don't Need To Make A Comeback. Ever. - DenverEnterprisesLLC
  15. A Real-Life Recipe for Perfection Salad – The Art and Politics of Jell-O Culture
  16. How To Host a Rocking 1970s Dinner Party – Artisan Angela