½ oz. lard
8 oz. plain flour
1 level teaspoonful salt
½ oz. fresh baker’s yeast
¼ pint warm water
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
3 tablespoonfuls oil
1 green pepper, de-seeded and chopped
1 lb. tomatoes, skinned and roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 level tablespoonful concentrated tomato paste
&Frac14; level teaspoonful dried thyme
salt and black pepper
1 large bay leaf
2 level teaspoonfuls sugar
4 oz. lean ham
4 oz. Bel Paese cheese, thinly sliced
1 small can anchovies, drained
16 green olives
- Rub lard into flour and salt in a bowl until resembling fine bread-crumbs. Blend yeast with water and mix into flour to make a soft and manageable dough. Knead on a lightly-floured surface till smooth and elastic. Prove in an oiled polythene bag in a warm place till doubled in size.
- Make filling: sauté onion in oil til beginning to brown, add pepper and continue gently for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, tomato paste, thyme, salt, pepper, bay leaf and sugar and simmer for ½ hr till soft and well reduced. Discard bay leaf.
- Turn dough on to a floured surface and knead well. Roll into a rectangle and brush with oil. Roll up like a Swiss roll. Repeat the process 3 times.
- Roll out to fit a 10-in. sandwich tin. Lay ham over the dough, then cheese and finally the tomato mixture. Arrange anchovy fillets in a lattice pattern on the top and put a halved olive in each square.
- At this stage the pizza can be left for up to ½ hr. if more convenient, before cooking at 450° F. (mark 8) for about 30 minutes in the centre of the oven.
3/Moules Marinère SET 1
60/Pizza, Soured Cream Cole Slaw, Lettuce Hearts SET 3
67/Oranges à la Turque SET 4
Numbers refer to other Good Housekeeping Cards
Good Housekeeping Cookery Cards Set 3: Main Course Printed in Gt. Britain by Ritchie/Dickson Ltd.