2 pounds small frying fish
3 Tablespoons flour
4 sprigs of parsley
2 cloves of garlic
3 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons vinegar
- Clean and wash the fish; remove the heads. Pat dry. Roll into flour to coat completely.
- Chop the garlic and parsley together.
- Heat the oil in a shallow saucepan. Add the fish. Pack them together so that they will stick to one another.
- After 5 to 6 minutes, they will form a sort of pancake; turn it over. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes on the other side.
- To serve: Sprinkle with the garlic and parsley mixture and cover with the boiling vinegar.
The sartadagnano, also called sartgnato in some small Mediterranean ports, can only be made with tiny fish whose bones are edible. To serve, slice like a cake.
© Shufunotomo Co., Ltd., Japan, 1971. Published in the United States and Canada by BOBLEY PUBLISHING, a division of Illustrated World Encyclopedia, Inc. Printed in Japan.
“to serve, slice like cake.”
A terrifying cake.