Preparation time: 15 min.
Chilling time: 2 to 3 hrs.
Your guests will be surprised to find that the pretty jelled filling in this avocado salad is puréed beet. It is easy to make for a party if you prepare the beet filling the night before.
For 4 servings you will need:
2 ripe avocadoes
Sliced green onion
1 can (8 oz.) julienne beets
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
2/3 cup orange juice
1 Tbsp. mayonnaise –
Salt and black pepper to taste
Tips: You must make the beet filling in advance. Serve leftover beet filling on lettuce topped with sliced green onions and a dollop of sour cream.
For 2 servings:
Half of the ingredients.
For 8 servings:
Double the ingredients.
1. Cut avocados in half. Remove seeds. Squeeze lemon juice over cut edges.
2. Carefully spoon Beet Filling into center of avocados.
3. Arrange on lettuce-lined salad plates. Sprinkle green onion over tops.
1. Drain liquid from beets into small saucepan. Stir in gelatin and heat until dissolved.
2. In blender or food processor, combine the gelatin mixture with the beets, orange juice, mayonnaise, salt and black pepper. Whirl until smooth.
3. Pour into small bowl. Chill until firm, 2 to 3 hrs.
4. When serving, use a tablespoon to scoop out portions to fill the seed area of the avocado halves.
© MCMLXXXIV My Great Recipes, All Rights Reserved. Printed in Holland.