Southern Chess Pie
9-inch unbaked pie shell
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, firmly packed
2/3 cup butter or regular margarine, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup dried currants
3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans
Whipped cream, optional
1. Prepare pie shell. Refrigerate until ready to fill.
2. Preheat oven to 375F.
3. In bowl, with electric mixer at medium speed, beat sugar and butter until creamy.
4. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla, currants, and nuts.
5. Turn into unbaked pie shell. Bake 40 to 50 minutes, or just until filling is set in center (shake pie gently; center should be firm).
6. Let cool on wire rack. If desired, serve garnished with whipped cream.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
TO FREEZE UNBAKED PIE SHELLS: Prepare pie shell as recipe directs. Prick pie shell if it is going to be baked without filling. Freezer-wrap, label, and freeze. TO USE SHELLS: Preheat oven to 450F. Remove freezer-wrap. Immediately bake frozen pie shell – about 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool completely on wire rack. Fill as desired. TO BAKE SHELL ALONG WITH FILLING: Remove freezer-wrap. Let stand in refrigerator or at room temperature to thaw. Fill as desired, and bake as specific recipe directs.
© Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.