2 (2-lb size) broiler fryers, each cut into 8 pieces
1/2 cup olive or salad oil
1 lb lean pork, cut in 1-inch cubes
2 cups chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups raw long-grain white rice
1/2 teaspoon saffron
1 lb Italian sausages, halved
2 medium-size fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 bay leaf
3 cans (10 3/4-oz size) condensed chicken broth
1 1/2 lb large shrimp, shelled and deveined
1 pkg (10 oz) frozen peas, thawed
1/2 jar (4-oz size) pimientos
2 lemons, each cut in 8 wedges
1. Wipe chicken with damp paper towels. In hot oil in large skillet, brown chicken, about 5 pieces at a time, until golden. Remove as it browns.
2. Add pork cubes to skillet; brown well on all aides. Remove.
3. To drippings in skilled, add onion, garlic, pepper, and oregano, sauté, stirring, 5 minutes, until onion is golden. Add salt, rice and saffron; cook, stirring – about 10 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in another skillet, brown sausages, turning on all sides – about 10 minutes. Drain and discard fat. Place chicken, sausages, and pork in roasting pan. Heat oven to 375F.
5. Add tomatoes, bay leaf, and chicken broth to rice mixture and bring to boiling. Add shrimp, spoon evenly over chicken and sausage in pan. Bake, tightly covered with foil, 1 hour.
6. If mixture seems dry, add 1/2 cup water. Sprinkle peas over top, without stirring. Bake, covered, 20 minutes longer.
7. To serve: Turn Paella into heated, round serving platter or paella pan. Garnish with pimiento and lemon. Serves 10.
©Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.