Easter Madeira Cake
Cooking time: 1 1/4 – 1 1/2 hours
Preparation time: 30 mins
Main Cooking Utensils: 7- to 8-in spring form pan
Oven temperature: 325-350°F
Oven position: center
For 8-10 servings you need:
3/4 cup butter or margarine
3/4 cup sugar
grated rind of 1 lemon
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
1 lb. baking apples
3 tablespoons water or lemon juice
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup apricot jam
2 cups ground almonds
few drops almond extract
1/2 cup sugar
scant cup sifted confections’ sugar
2 egg yolks
1 egg white
1. Cream the butter or margarine, sugar and lemon rind until soft and light.
2. Gradually beat in the eggs, fold in the sifted flour and baking powder.
3. put the mixture into the greased and floured pan and bak in 325-350°F oven (check temperature carefully and reduce the heat after 45 minutes to 1 hour if necessary).
4. Turn out and allow to become quite cold before filling.
5. Meanwhile peel and slice the apples and cook with the water or lemon juice and sugar to a thick smooth pulp.
6. Split the cake through the center. then spread with half the jam and the applesauce.
7. Mix ingredients for almond paste together.
8. Roll out nearly three fourths of the almond paste and make into a 7- to 8-inch round (the size of the cake).
9. Spread the top of the cake with jam then with almond paste round.
10. Roll the remaining almond paste into small balls, put on top of the cake.
11. Brush with egg white and brown under broiler set to a low heat. Decorate as wished.
Printed in Canada. © Copyright The Hamlyn Publishing Group, Ltd. 1972