Preparation time: about 45 min.
Baking time: 1 hr. 45 min.
Oven temperature: 375°F
Chilling time 4 to 24 hrs.
Elegant, yet economical, this tasty chilled meatloaf can be served in little squares on crisp croutons as an appetizer, in a thick slice on lettuce as a main dish, or with mustard for picnic fare.
For 1 9-by-5-inch loaf or terrine you will need:
1 lb sliced bacon
1 lb. ground lean pork
1 cup minced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 pkg (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, cooked and drained
1 Tbsp. dried tarragon leaves
1 tsp. each dried rosemary, oregano, thyme and marjoram leaves
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 cup dry sherry; optional
2 Tbsp. (2 pkgs.) unflavored gelatin
1 cup whipping cream
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 lb. boiled ham, diced 1/2-inch optional
1 bay leaf
1. Line by 9-by-5-inch loaf pan or terrine with bacon, overlapping slightly to cover pan. In skillet try remaining bacon (4 to 6 slices) until crisp. Remove and reserve. Pour out all but 2 Tbsp. fat.
2. Put pork into large mixing bowl. Set aside.
3. Add onion and garlic to bacon fat. Sauté 3 min., stirring. Lower heat. Add spinach and heat through.
4. Add to pork with herbs, seasonings, sherry, if used, gelatin, cream and eggs. Blend well.
5. Spread half the mixture into lined pan. Top with crumbled bacon and ham. Cover with remaining meat mixture, patting down well. Fold bacon lining the pan over the top. Center bay leaf on top.
6. Cover with foil, sealing well. Place in another pan. Add 1-inch boiling water.
7. Bake at 375°F for 1 hr. 45 min. until juices are no longer pink. Remove foil. Weight down. Cool and chill 4 to 24 hrs. before slicing.
MCMLXXXIV My Group Recipes, All Rights Reserved, Printed in Holland