Ice-Cream Bombe Jubilee
1 qt slightly soft peach ice cream
1 qt vanilla ice cream
1 (7-inch) bakers’ sponge-cake layer
1 cup heavy cream, whipped
1 can (1 lb, 14 oz) pitted Bing cherries
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 cup brandy
1. Place 6-cup decorative mold in freezer – about 1 hour. Line inside with plastic wrap, leaving an overhang.
2. With back of large spoon, press peach ice cream around inside of mold to make a shell. Freeze – about 1 hour.
3. Press vanilla ice cream firmly into center. Freeze, covered, at least 3 hours.
4. To unmold: Grasp plastic wrap; lift out mold. Invert on cake layer, placed on sheet of foil. Wrap in foil; freeze until serving.
5. Place bombe on chilled serving plate. Decorate top and sides with whipped-cream rosettes (whipped cream put through pastry bag with rosette tip). Let stand at room temperature 5 minutes to soften slightly.
6. Make Cherries Jubilee: Drain cherries, reserving 1 cup syrup. In small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch; mix well. Stir in reserved syrup. Bring just to boiling. stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer 1 minute, until slightly thickened. Add cherries; reheat gently. Turn into metal bowl.
7. Heat brandy, over very low heat, just until vapor rises. Pour brandy over cherries; ignite. Serving flaming over bombe. Serves 10.
For an unforgettable and spectacular birthday dessert, try this cake and ice-cream concoction, served with cherries jubilee.
© Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.