Cooking time: 40 mins.
Preparation time: 30 mins.
Main cooking utensil: oval cake pan or ovenproof dish approximately 7 ins. by 3 ins.
Oven temperature: 375°F.
Cake: See Card 28*
1 cup butter
few drops almond extract
2 2/3 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
3/4 cup slivered browned almonds
2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate pieces
1 tablespoon butter
strip of cardboard 1/2 in. by 7 ins.
1. Make the cake as Card 28*.
2.Bake for time and at temperature given until cake is golden. Cool.
3. Cream the butter icing ingredients well.
4. Cut a slice from the top of the cake to form a lid.
5. Spread sides and top of cake, rim of lid and strip of cardboard with butter icing, using warmed palette knife.
6. Coast iced pieces of cake with flaked browned almonds.
7. Cut lid in half. Coat with chocolate icing made by melting chocolate and butter over hot water. Allow to set.
8. Fix lid on the cake at an angle and pipe a line of butter icing down the center.
9. Put handle and artificial flowers in position.
*Cake recipe from Card 28
3/4 cup butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour sifted with 1 1/2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
1. Cream butter and sugar until soft and light.
2. Beat in eggs gradually; add a little flour if batter shows signs of curdling.
3. Fold in flour; put in greased pans.
4. Bake 20-25 mins at 375°F.
Printed in Canada © Copyright Paul Hamlyn, Ltd 1967