8-inch packaged sponge layer cake
3/4 cup whipped cream cheese
1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar
1 can (1lb, 14oz) cling-peach halves, drained
1 can (1lb, 1oz) pear halves, drained
1 can (3 1/4oz) mandarin-orange sections, drained
1 tablespoon preserves
1/4 cup frozen berries
2 fresh strawberries or maraschino cherries, with stems, optional
3/4 cup apple jelly
1/4 cup chopped toasted almonds
1. Place cake layer on strips of waxed paper (to keep plate clean) on serving plate. Sprinkle cake with 2 or 3 tablespoons rum, to moisten.
2. In small bowl, beat cream cheese with confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Spread on cake.
3. Dry all fruit well on paper towels. Place a peach half, rounded side up, in center of cake. Arrange other peach halves, rounded side down, around it. Place a pear half between each 2 peach halves. Arrange mandarin-orange sections between peaches and pears.
4. Top center peach with preserves. Mound slightly thawed berries on preserves. Top with a strawberry or cherry. If desired, decorate with pieces of strawberry.
5. Melt jelly over low heat. Brush over fruit and around side of cake. Press chopped nuts around side of cake.
6. Carefully remove waxed paper. Refrigerate cake (or place in freezer 10 minutes) until serving.
Makes 8 servings.
© 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.