Creamy Apricot Almond Fudge
Cooking time: 50 mins- 1 hour
Preparation time: 15 mins.
Main cooking utensils: strong large saucepan, baking pans.
For about 4 lb fudge you need:
1 cup margarine
4 cups sugar
1 large can evaporated milk
2/3 cup dried apricots
1/2 cup browned almonds
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon flavoring extract
3/4 cup shelled hazelnuts
1. Put margarine, sugar and evaporated milk in a large pan.
2. Stir until the sugar has dissolved.
3. Bring to a boil and, stirring occasionally, cook until 238°F is reached, i.e. when a little is tested in cold water and it forms a soft ball. This stage may take up to 1 hour.
4. Remove from the heat.
5. Chop the apricots and almonds.
6. Add to the mixture together with the almond extract.
7. Beat until the mixture is thick.
8 Pour into greased pans.
9 When half set, mark into squares with a sharp knife.
10. Leave until cold and firm.
TO VARY: Hazelnut fudge: Cook all the ingredients except the hazelnuts until the soft ball stage, see above. Add the hazelnuts, beat until thick. Continue as above.
TO STORE: In an airtight tin.
Printed in Canada. ©Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd, 1967.