Cooking time: 1 1/4 hours
Preparation time: 45 mins.
Main cooking utensils: 2 lb loaf pan, wax paper
Oven temperature: 350°F
For 8 servings you need:
3/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons clear honey
2 cup all-purpose flour sifted with 2 1/4 teaspoons double acting baking pwoder
1/4 cup candied cherries
6 tablespoons seedless raisins
Honey royal icing:
3 1/2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon clear honey
almond paste made with
1/2 cup ground almonds etc…
See Card 9
few colored candies
(from Card 9)
2 cups ground almonds
1/2 cup sugar
scant cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
juice 1 lemon
1. Cream butter and sugar until soft and light, the beat in the honey and gradually add the eggs.
2. Stir in the sifted flour and baking powder, cherries, dried fruit. Put into the pan lined with wax paper.
3. Bake in center of oven until firm to the touch and golden brown, turn out and cool on a wire rack.
4. Make the royal icing, see Card 9, add the honey and beat again, then spread a thin layer over the whole cake, allow this to set, then use the remainder to make a thicker layer.
5. Swirl up with the blade of a knife or handle of a teaspoon. Let this icing set and harden.
6. Roll out almond paste and cut into two strips, gently curl at one end to make runners for the sleigh, place in position under the cake on the board.
7. Place the candies on top of the cake.
TO STORE: This cake keeps well for some days in an airtight tin.
Printed in Canada. ©Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd. 1967