Cooking time: 1 1/2 hours
Preparation time: 40 mins.
Main cooking utensil: 7- or 8-in. square cake pan
Oven temperature: 350°F
Oven position: Center
For 9 servings you need:
Cake: See Card 6
Honey Royal Icing:
1 egg white
1 3/4 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon clear honey
9 pipe cleaners
1. Make cake as directed on Card 6.
2. Bake for time and temperature given, until firm to the touch then allow to cool; store until ready to use.
3. Cut into 9 equal-sized squares.
4. For the royal icing, beat egg white with confectioners’ sugar until white and shiny, beat in honey.
5. Secure ribbon around cakes with a little icing, then pipe or spread most of the icing around top of each cake.
6. Wind pipe cleaners around a pencil to get the effect of springs, press on end into the cake.
7. Put a little royal icing on base of each head and press onto springs.
TO SERVE: Ideal for children’s party.
TO VARY: Use a softer type of glacé instead of royal icing.
If toys are unattainable, make some from almond paste, see Card 9, or fondant butter icing, see Card 27, and form into faces. Paint with food coloring.
TO STORE: In an airtight tin.
Printed in Canada. ©Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd. 1967