4-lb boned leg of veal, rolled and tied
1 large carrot, pared and cut up
1 celery stalk, cut up
1 large parsley sprig
1 medium onion, peeled and studded with 2 whole cloves
1 large garlic, split
1 teaspoon salt
Tuna Sauce (below)
1. Day before serving: In 8-quart kettle, combine all ingredients (except Tuna Sauce) with 3 1/2 quarts water. Bring to boiling: reduce heat; simmer veal, covered, 2 hours, or until tender. Remove veal from stock. (If desired, run meat under broiler to brown.) Cool; refrigerate overnight.
2. Next day: Strain stock; reserve 1 1/2 cups for Tuna Sauce.
3. To serve: Slice veal thin. Arrange slices in row in center of shallow dish. Pour Tuna Sauce around veal. If desired, garnish with anchovy fillets and capers, as pictured. Serves 12.
2 cans (7-oz size) tuna, drained
2 cans (2-oz size) anchovy fillets, undrained
2 cups sliced celery
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
1/2 cup sliced carrot
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons capers, drained
Reserved veal stock
1. In medium saucepan, combine tuna with anchovies, remainder of ingredients, and 1 1/2 cups veal stock.
2. Bring to boiling; reduce heat; simmer, covered, 1/2 hour. Remove from heat; cool. Turn into blender container, half at a time. Blend, covered, a few seconds, until blended, not smooth. Refrigerate.
©Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.