Skip to content

2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1 chicken bouillon cube

1 large green pepper, cut crosswise in 1/4 inch circles

1. Wash chicken; pat dry with paper towels. Coat chicken with flour.

2. Heat oil in large skillet. Add chicken, a few pieces at a time, and brown on all sides. Remove as browned to shallow roasting pan, arrange pieces skin sides up. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

3. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350F.

4. Make Sauce: Drain pineapple, pouring syrup into 2-cup measure. Add water to make 1 3/4 cups.

5. In medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, pineapple syrup, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, and bouillon cube. Bring to boiling, stirring constantly; boil 2 minutes. Pour over chicken.

6. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes. Add pineapple slices and green pepper. Bake 30 minutes longer, or until chicken is tender. Serve with fluffy white rice.

Makes 4 servings.

©Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.

Advertisements
15 Comments leave one →
  1. Mark Shaffer permalink
    October 17, 2011 4:26 pm

I am so glad you posted this recipe. We bought the original recipe card and it has worn out from constant use (should have had it laminated). It is a great recipe that the whole family has enjoyed for years. The last time we did it, it was on the stove top stir fry fashion, and it turned out great.

• October 17, 2011 4:29 pm

I’m so glad I could help!

Saving the world, one vintage recipe card at a time 😉

2. Elsie Carson permalink
    July 6, 2012 4:46 pm

How can I increase this for 50 people — I won’t use individual pieces, but chopped chicken
    tenders (precooked)

3. November 20, 2012 3:26 am

I grew up eating this! It’s SO good. Yum. Thanks you!

4. andrea permalink
    January 10, 2013 6:15 pm

i grew up with this recipe card thank you for bringing this back im going to make this tonight i know my family will love it.

5. Jms permalink
    November 19, 2013 3:19 pm

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for posting this recipe!!! . I have been looking for it for a long time. Our original card was trashed. Family favorite forever.

6. Elissa Zavelo permalink
    November 25, 2013 2:57 am

Chicken Waikiki is the best. I was just wondering if I could brown the chicken ahead of time and bake it later?

7. Gloria permalink
    October 21, 2014 5:43 pm

I have fix this recipes way back in the 80’s. My family love this. The sauce is good on pork, ham it has no limits.

8. Kerry permalink
    February 17, 2015 6:54 pm

My original recipe card is so old and pieces missing. Before the card disintegrated completely I thought I would retype it and print it out. Before wasting the time I decided to google it and there it was! Original photo and everything! So happy–thank you! It’s been a family hit since I was 12 and I’m 53 now. My husband considers it one of his most favorite comfort foods.

9. Marcia permalink
    June 4, 2016 11:55 pm

i made this recipe many times in the 80s, back when i was foolishly buying those recipe card collections (a ton of money to get the complete sets). it was a real family favorite but who knows what i did with those recipe cards all these years later. so glad to find it here. this is a great recipe. thank you, thank you for posting. when i print this one out i will be sure to laminate! can’t wait now to make it again.

10. Nancy permalink
    July 6, 2016 1:28 am

This was “the” company’s coming dish, but just in the last few days misplaced my card, thank you for posting this!

11. Vonnie permalink
    October 23, 2016 6:38 pm

My husbands mom made this recipe for him when he was a young boy in Hawaii. This is originating back from the early 70’s. The only difference, she would use chicken legs and thighs when making it. This is one of his favorites. Thank you for posting this recipe. Very appreciated. She passed away back in 2009 and this original recipe card she had was lost. This dish brings back fond memories of his mom,

12. Jan Albright permalink
    January 12, 2017 3:39 pm

I had lost this recipe, then searched on line…and found it under rita’s recipes…. and there on the screen was the actual card in all its glory!! I was elated! rita cut down the sauce some so I’m glad to get the original. My daughters constantly make this….and share the recipe with their friends. So-o-o-o good! Reading the bottom of the card lead me to this site. Amen.