6 whole chicken breasts, split (5lb)
6 chicken legs and thighs (4lb)
3 cans (1lb, 1 oz size) fruits for salad
3/4 cup soy sauce
1 clove garlic, crushed
3 jars (8-oz size) sweet-and-sour sauce
1. Day before serving: Preheat oven to 350F. Wash chicken; pat dry with paper towels. Arrange, skin sides up, in large, shallow roasting pan.
2. Drain fruit, reserving syrup. Pour syrup and soy sauce over chicken. Add garlic. Bake, uncovered, basting often and turning chicken to brown all pieces, 1 hour, or until chicken is rich golden brown. Drain liquid into large saucepan.
3. Cover pan of chicken tightly with foil. Add sweet-and-sour sauce to liquid. Bring to boiling over medium heat; boil until sauce thickens and is reduced to 3 1/2 cups – about 40 minutes. Pour over chicken.
4. Refrigerate. covered, along with drained fruit, overnight.
5. Next day: About 1 1/2 hours before serving, preheat oven to 350F. Bake chicken, uncovered, 30 minutes, basting often. Add fruit. Bake, 30 minutes longer, or until piping hot, basting several times. Makes 12 servings.
©Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.