2 pkg (1 lb, 2.5-oz size) yellow cake mix
4 pkg (6.5 oz size) fluffy white frosting mix
Assorted jelly beans
1. Prepare cake mix as package label directs, using 4 eggs and amount of water specified on label. Bake in 4 (9-inch) layer-cake pans. Turn out; cool. Trim tops to make level.
2. Cut 5-inch and 3-inch circle from one of the cake layers. Set both circles aside.
3. Make frosting as package label directs.
4. On plate, put 3 (9 inch) layers together with 1/2 cup frosting between each layer.
5. Frost bottoms of 5-inch and 3-inch circles. Put layers together, 3-inch layer on top, then center them on 9-inch layers.
6. Spread sides of 9-inch layers with frosting. With tines of fork, make wavy vertical lines in frosting around side of cake.
7. Mount 4 cups of frosting on top of cake. With metal spatula, sweep frosting down to edge of 9-inch layers, to resemble the top of a carousel. With edge of long spatula, make indentations around top of carousel at 2-inch intervals.
8. Put rest of frosting in pastry bag with number-3, small, plain decorating tip.
9. Press out frosting decoratively onto cake, outlining indentations on top; also outline edge of carousel top with frosting.
10. Press jelly beans into frosting around side and base of cake. Press out frosting decoratively around jelly beans.
11. Press out frosting to form swirl on top of cake.
Makes 16 to 20 servings.
©Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.
Oh! I’m so excited! Cake mix, frosting mix, AND jellybeans! How . . . festive?