Fruit-Filled Meat Loaf
This fruit filling adds a touch of sweetness and helps to extend the meat in this lusciously browned loaf. It cuts well and any leftovers are good cold or used in sandwiches.
For 4 to 6 servings you will need:
1 1/4 lbs beef and pork for meat loaf
1 lb ground beef
1/4 lb ground pork
1 small onion minced
1 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
1 cup milk
Additional parsley, optional
1 Tbsp. onion, reserved
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 3/4 cups soft whole wheat or white bread crumbs
1/2 cup chopped pitted dried prunes
1/2 cup, peeled cored apples
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp. dried thyme leaves, crumbled
Toss together reserved onion, butter, crumbs, prunes, apples, salt, herbs, and egg.
1. Sauté onion in butter until tender. Set aside 1 Tbsp. for the filling.
2. Combine the onion, parsley, salt, pepper, fine crumbs, milk and eggs. Mix well.
3. Add meat. Mix lightly but thoroughly (over mixing toughens meat).
4. Pack half of the mixture into greased 9-by-5-by-3 inch loaf pan.
5. Cover with filling. Press down lightly.
6. Add remaining meat mixture and press down to pack. Turn out into shallow 2 quart baking dish.
7. Bake at 350° for 1 1/4 hours or until loaf is firm and golden brown.
8. Remove to hot platter, Garnish with parsley, if used, add apple slices.
Good served with: baked potatoes with sour cream and green peas.
©MCMLXXXV My Great Recipes®. All Rights Reserved. Printed in Holland.