2 envelopes unflavored gelatine
1 can (1 pt, 2ox) tomato juice
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
2 small tomatoes, peeled and diced (1 cup)
1 medium cucumber, pared and diced (1 cup)
1/2 medium green pepper, diced (1/2 cup)
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
1 tablespoon chopped chives
2 large ripe avocados
1/3 cup bottled oil-and-vinegar dressing
1. In medium saucepan, sprinkle gelatine over 3/4 cup tomato juice, to soften. Place over low heat, stirring constantly, until gelatine is dissolved. Remove from heat.
2. Stir in remaining tomato juice, vinegar, salt and several drops Tabasco. Set in bowl of ice, stirring occasionally, until mixture is consistency of unbeaten egg white – about 15 minutes.
3. Fold in tomato, cucumber, green pepper, onion, and chives until well combined. Pour into fluted, 1 1/2 quart mold that has been rinsed in cold water.
4. Refrigerate until firm, at least 6 hours.
5. To unmold: Run small spatula around edge of mold; invert over serving platter; place a hot, damp dishcloth over inverted mold, and shake gently to release. Refrigerate.
6. Just before serving, peel and slice avocados. Brush with lemon juice. Arrange avocado slices around molded salad, and pour dressing over them. Garnish with watercress.
Makes 6 servings.
©Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.