1 dozen small clams, in shell
2 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined
4 tablespoons olive or salad oil
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 cup raw, long-grain white rice
1 teaspoon salt
1 bay leaf
1 chicken bouillon cube
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
2 green peppers, seeded and finely chopped
2 large tomatoes, peeled
1/2 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, sliced
2 teaspoons paprika
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese (6 oz)
1. Wash clams and shrimp thoroughly. Place clams in saucepan with 6 cups water; bring to boiling. Add shrimp; cook over high heat, covered, 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
2. Pour off enough shellfish liquid to make 2 1/4 cups. Set aside clams and shrimp, in remaining broth. Keep warm.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil and butter in 3-quart saucepan. Add rice, and stir to coat well. Add reserved 2 1/4 cups liquid, salt , bay leaf, and bouillon cube; bring to boiling; reduce heat, and simmer, covered and without stirring, 25 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 375F. Meanwhile, in 2 tablespoons hot oil in 6-quart Dutch oven, sauté garlic, onion and green pepper until green pepper is tender – about 10 minutes.
5. Chop tomatoes. Add to sautéed vegetables with olives, paprika, and cayenne; cook 5 minutes longer. Keep warm.
6. Drain shellfish, and add with rice to tomato mixture; stir gently to blend. Turn into paella pan or shallow 4-quart casserole.
7. Sprinkle cheese over top of all. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
©Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.