3 lb boneless lamb for stew
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 large carrot, pared and sliced
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 pkg (11 oz) pie crust mix
2 teaspoons flour
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 teaspoons sugar
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup heavy cream
3/4 cup chopped fresh dill, or 6 tablespoons dried dillweed
1. Trim excess fat from lamb; cut meat into 1-inch cubes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. In 4-quart Dutch oven, combine lamb, carrot, onion, and celery with 2 1/2 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat, and simmer, covered and stirring occasionally, 1 hour, or until lamb is tender. Skim off fat, if necessary.
3. Meanwhile, prepare pastry as package label directs. Roll out to form 12-inch circle. Preheat oven to 350F.
4. Drain lamb and vegetables, pouring liquid into medium saucepan. (Liquid should measure 2 cups)
5. Combine flour with 1 tablespoon water and stir into liquid; cook, stirring, until slightly thickened. Add vinegar and sugar.
6. In medium bowl, beat egg yolks slightly. Beat in cream, then a small amount of hot sauce; pour back into rest of sauce. Add lamb mixture and dill; mix well.
7. Turn lamb mixture into 10-inch shallow casserole (about 2 inches deep). Make slits in pastry for steam vents, and adjust over top of casserole; crimp edges. Bake 45 minutes, or until top is golden.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
© Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.