Christmas Roast Pork
10-to-12-lb bone-in fresh ham
1 cup pitted dried prunes
1 cup dried apricots
2 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
2 cans (13 3/4 oz size) clear chicken broth
6 spiced crab apples
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Wipe ham with damp paper towels. Trim fat to about 1/4 inch thickness, leaving any skin. Score fat into 1-inch diamonds.
2. With long, sharp knife, make deep slits to the bone, 2 to 3 inches apart, all over surface. Using fingers, push prunes and apricots alternately into slits. Rub surface with salt and pepper. Insert meat thermometer into thickest part of meat, being careful to avoid slits. Place roast, fat side up, on rack in shallow, open roasting pan.
3. Roast, uncovered, 2 hours. Drain off fat, and discard. Pour 1 cup water over roast; roast 1/2 hour longer. Pour 1 cup water over roast; repeat every 1/2 hour until meat thermometer registers 180F. (Total roasting time is approximately 6 hours.) If roast is getting too brown, place sheet of foil loosely over top. Remove roast to heated platter; keep warm.
4. Pour drippigns into 2-cup measure; let stand a few minutes. Skim off fat, and discard.
5. In small bowl, stir flour and 1 cup broth until smooth.
6. In medium saucepan, combine remaining broth and drippings. heat to boiling. Slowly add flour mixture, stirring constantly until mixture returns to boiling and thickens; reduce heat, simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add salt to taste.
7 To serve roast: Skewer 2 apples on each of 3 wooden sewers. Insert skewers in bone end of ham. Garnish wish parsley. Pass gravy. Makes 10 to 12 servings.
©Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.