1 pkg (12oz) pitted prunes
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 egg whites
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream, whipped
Whipped cream or Custard Sauce (below)
1. Cook prunes as package label directs. Drain prunes, reserving liquid. Remove 1/2 cup cooked prunes for later.
2. Purée remaining prunes in blender or food mill with 1/2 cup of cooking liquid. Add lemon juice. Let cool.
3. With mixer at high speed, beat egg whites with salt until frothy. Gradually beat in sugar; beat until stiff peaks form.
4. Add purée of prunes, 1/4 cup at a time, beating well. Beat at high speed, 2 minutes.
5. Chop remaining prunes and fold into mixture along with 1/4 cup crea, whipped. Turn into 6 or 8 sherbert dishes.
6. Refrigerate. Garnish each with a little whipped cream, if desired, or serve with Custard Sauce.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
1 cup milk
2 egg yolks
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Heat milk in top of double boiler, over direct heat, until bubbles form around edge of pan.
2. In small bowl, lightly beat egg yolks with sugar and salt. Gradually add hot milk, beating constantly. Return to double boiler. Cook over hot, not boiling, water until thin coating forms on metal spoon – 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in vanilla. Strain into small bowl. Refrigerate, covered, until well chilled.
©Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All Rights Reserved. Printed in U.S.A.