Add a luxurious touch to any meal and fresh-bake your own wheat bread in a new form. Spread dough into a tube pan, sprinkle with fragrant fennel, anise or caraway seeds and let the tantalizing aroma fill your kitchen while it bakes high, light and golden.
For 1 ring you will need:
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/2 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
1 cup milk
3/4 cup butter or margarine, cubed
1 to 1 1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup mashed potatoes
4 cups whole wheat flour
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 to 2 Tbsp. fennel, anise or caraway seeds
1. Combine yeast and sugar in large bowl. Stir in warm water. Set aside for 5 min.
2. Combine milk and butter in saucepan. Place over low heat. Heat until it reaches 105° to 115° (butter need not melt completely).
3. Pour into yeast mixture along with the salt, mixing well. Beat in eggs. Stir in mashed potatoes until smooth and thoroughly blended.
4. With wooden spoon, beat in flours, 1 cup at a time, until dough forms. Knead for 10 min., adding flour as necessary. Place dough in oiled bowl, turning once. Cover and let rise in warm place for 2 hrs.
5. Punch dough down. Knead again for 5 min. Spread in oiled 10-inch tube pan. Cover and let rise 1 hr.
6. Brush with beaten egg white. Dust with flour. Sprinkle with seeds. Baked at 375&DEG; FOR 1 TO 1 1/4 hrs. Remove from pan. Cool on wire rack.
Tips: Bread can be baked in 2 loaf pans for 45 min. or until done. Two medium potatoes will yield about 3/4 cup mashed.
©MCMLXXXIV My Great Recipes. All Rights Reserved. Printed in Holland.