1 cup soft white bread crumbs
2 lb ground chuck
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons margarine
2 tablespoons salad oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 cup chopped apple
4 teaspoons curry powder
3/4 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
1 can (1 lb, 1oz) fruits for salad
1 can (10 3/4 oz) condensed chicken broth, undiluted
2 tablespoons lemon juice
4 cups cooked white rice
1. Meatballs: In large bowl, combine bread crumbs, 1/2 cup water, chuck, 2 teaspoons curry powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon ginger, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; mix lightly with for. With hands, lightly shape into 16 meatballs (1/4 cup each).
2. In hot margarine and oil in Dutch oven, brown meatballs all over, half at a time. Remove as they are browned.
3. Sauce: In hot drippings in Dutch oven, saute onion, garlic, apple, curry powder, ginger, salt, and pepper until onion is tender. Remove from heat. Stir in flour until smooth.
4. Drain fruit, reserving 2/3 cup juice. Gradually stir juice, then chicken broth, into mixture in Dutch oven. Return to heat; cook, stirring, until mixture boils.
5. Add meatballs; simmer, covered, 25 minutes. Add fruit and lemon juice; heat 5 minutes. Meanwhile, cook rice.
6. To serve: Spoon rice on platter. Mound meatballs with fruit and some sauce. Pass rest of sauce. Serves 4 to 6.
© Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.