Cooking time: 1 hour 10 mins.- 1 hour 25 mins.
Preparation time: 15 mins.
Main cooking utensil: large saucepan
For 6 people you need
1 ½ lb. tomatoes or large can tomatoes
3 tablespoons shortening
5 cups stock
4-6 oz. ribbon noodles
- Peel and slice onions and carrots.
- Halve fresh tomatoes.
- Fry vegetables in the hot shortening for 5-10 minutes.
- Add stock, seasoning, and bouquet garni.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for ¾- 1 hour.
- Discard bouquet garni and put soup through a sieve.
- Return to the pan, then add the noodles and cook for 10-15 minutes until the noodles are tender.
- Re-season to taste.
TO SERVE: As soon as possible topped with croutons or parsley if desired. A little fresh or sour cream may be put on top.
TO VARY: Cream of tomato soup: Proceed to stage 7. In a separate pan make a white sauce with 2 tablespoons butter, ¼ cup flour, 1 ¼ cups milk, and seasoning. reheat the soup, then whisk the hot, not boiling, sauce into the soup.
PRINTED IN CANADA. © Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd. 1967