2 cups sugar
2 cups light corn syrup
2 bottles (1 3/4-oz size) cinnamon candies (1/2 cup)
1/2 teaspoon red food color
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
6 medium red applies (see Note)
6 wooden skewers
1. In medium saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, and cinnamon candies with 1 cup cold water.
2. Over medium heat, stir constantly just until sugar and candies are dissolved. (Do not boil.)
3. Add food color and cinnamon; stir to mix well.
4. Bring syrup to boiling; continue cooking, without stirring, to 300F on candy thermometer.
5. Meanwhile, wash apples, and dry well. Remove stem from each; insert skewer partway in stem end, far enough to hold apple firmly.
6. Remove syrup from heat.
7. Working quickly, dip each apple ( holding by skewer) into syrup, to coat completely. Place, skewer end up, on well-greased cookies sheets, to let taffy harden. LEt stand at room temperature until serving.
Note: Use ripe, red eating apples, such as McIntosh or Delicious.
© Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.