1 can snails, with shells (7 ½-oz can; 1 ½ dozen shells)
½ cup soft butter or margarine
2 or 3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 shallot finely chopped
1 ½ tablespoons finely chopped parsley
1 tablespoon lemon juice
¾ teaspoon salt
¾ teaspoon dried chervil leaves
⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- Several hours before serving: Wash snail shells, and drain well on paper towels. Drain snails thoroughly; set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine butter with remaining ingredients; mix well.
- Place a generous 1/4 teaspoon of butter mixture in each shell. Push a drained snail into each shell; cover with more butter mixture.
- Arrange shells carefully, open ends up, in flat baking dish or special escargot (snail) dishes. Cover and refrigerate.
- To serve: Preheat oven to 400F. Bake snails in shells, uncovered 8 to 10 minutes, or until butter mixture is very bubbly. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 first course or 6 to 8 hors d’oeuvre servings.
© Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.