Colorful and easy to make, this luscious shrimp loaf will keep refrigerated for several days. Use as an entrée for a holiday luncheon, Christmas or New Year’s cocktail buffet.
For 1 loaf you will need:
2 pkgs. unflavored gelatin
1/2 cup cold water
1 can (10 3/4 oz) tomato soup, undiluted
3 pkgs. (3 oz.each) cream cheese, softened and thoroughly mashed
1 cup finely chopped celery
1 cup finely chopped green and red pepper
3 cans (4 oz. each) broken shrimp, drained, washed, then chilled in ice water
1 cup mayonnaise
1 Tbsp. grated onion or onion purée
1 Tbsp. horseradish
1 Tbsp. capers, drained
1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce
Salt to taste
Lemon and lime slices
1. Dissolve gelatin in the cold water.
2. Meanwhile, bring tomato soup to a boil in saucepan. Add softened gelatin. Allow mixture to cool. When barely warm, blend in cream cheese.
3. Stir in celery, green and red pepper, shrimp, mayonnaise, onion, horseradish, capers, hot pepper sauce, and salt to taste.
4. Coat a 9-by-5 inch loaf pan with a little mayonnaise or oil. Pour in mixture. Spread as evenly as possible. Cover and chill 2 to 4 hrs. or until set.
5. Unmold on large platter or serving dish. Garnish with shredded lettuce and lemon and lime slices. Serve with crackers or Melba toast, if you wish.
Tips: One loaf will yield 10 to 12 slices for luncheon or 30 slices or a cocktail party.
©MCMLXXXIV My Great Recipes. All Rights Reserved. Printed in Holland.