1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 large onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup coarsely chopped green pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons flour
1 lb smoked pork sausage or ham, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
3 cups cooked shrimp shelled and deveined (about 1 lb)
5 cups diced peeled tomatoes
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 cups raw long-grain white rice
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1. In large, deep skillet or Dutch oven, heat butter. Add onion, green pepper, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes, until tender.
2. Remove from heat. Stir in flour. Gradually add 2 1/2 cups water, stirring until smooth.
3. Return to heat. Add remaining ingredients; bring to boiling, stirring.
4. Reduce heat to simmer; cook, covered but stirring occasionally – about 30 minutes, or until rice is tender.
5. Serve sprinkled with additional chopped parsley, if desired.
Makes 8 servings.
©1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.