2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 1/2 cups raw long-grain white rice
2 tablespoons salad oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup green pepper cut in 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup red pepper, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
1 large tomato (8 oz), peeled and chopped
1 pkg (6 oz) frozen crabmeat, thawed
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 can (7 oz) tuna, drained and flaked
1 can (7 3/4 oz) salmon, drained and flaked
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1. Make Rice Ring: Oil a 4 1/2-cup ring mold. In 5-quart Dutch oven, combine 3 1/2 cups water, salt, butter, bay leaf, and turmeric.
2. Bring to boiling. Add rice. Simmer, covered, 25 minutes, or just until water is absorbed and rice is tender.
3. Remove bay leaf. Pack rice into prepared mold. Refrigerate, covered, 2 hours, until chilled.
4. Make Filling: In hot oil medium skillet, sauté onion, stirring, 5 minutes, until golden.
5. Add green and red peppers, tomato, crabmeat, thyme, cayenne, and white wine. Simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
6. Add tuna and salmon; toss lightly to combine. Turn into bowl. Refrigerate, covered, 2 hours, until chilled.
7. To serve: Run spatula around edge of mold; invert onto cold serving platter; remove mold. Fill center with filling. Sprinkle with parsley. Garnish with greens. Makes 6 to 8 servings.
© Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.