Cooking time: see points 1,2,4,5 in recipe
Preparation time: 10 mins.
Main cooking utensil: either covered casserole OR double saucepan.
Oven temperature: moderate, 350-375° – Gas Mark 4
Oven position: centre
For 4-6 people you need:
2 lb. cooking apples
4-6 oz. castor sugar
juice of 1 orange or water
1/2 pint cream
4 savoy finger biscuits
* to add colouring to ingredients, dip a skewer in the bottle, remove and allow the drops to fall from this into the mixture.
1. Cooking apples in the oven: Peel the apples, slice, put into the dish with sugar and orange juice or water.
2. Cover tightly, and cook for 30 minutes until very soft and fluffy.
3. Remove from oven, beat hard while hot or sieve if wished.
4. Cooking apples in a double saucepan. Prepare the apples as point 1, and put into the top of a double saucepan over a pan of boiling water.
5. Cook for approximately 15-20 minutes. Stir during cooking since the bottom layer cooks more quickly than the top, continue as point 3.
6. Allow apple mixture to cool.
7. Whip cream until just stiff – do not over beat – then fold into the apple purée, tint half pale green with a few drops of colouring, see opposite.
8. Fill glasses with alternate layers of plan and green purée.
TO SERVE: Top with halved savoy finger biscuits.
TO VARY: Cook other fruit – gooseberries, etc. – in this way.
© Copyright Hamlyn Group Ltd 1973