Cooking time: 3 ¼ – 3 ½ hours
Preparation time: 1 hour
Main cooking utensil: 8- to 9-inch spring form pan, brown and wax paper
Oven temperature: 325-350° F for 1 hour then 275-300° F for the rest of the time.
Oven position: center
For 20-26 servings:
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 tablespoon brandy, sherry, or lemon juice
2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon each of cinnamon and mixed spice
½ cup ground almonds
¼ cup candied cherries
scant ½ cup chopped candied peel
2 cups seedless white raisins
2 cups currants
⅔ cups raisins
Royal icing: See Card 9
- Grate rind from the lemon, squeeze the juice if using instead of brandy.
- Cream butter, sugar, and lemon rind until soft, then gradually add the eggs beaten with the brandy. Fold in a little sifted flour if the mixture shows signs of curdling.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Put mixture into prepared pan and bake for the time and temperatures given. To test if cooked listen carefully, a faint humming indicates it is not fully cooked. With this type of cake you can cover the top with wax paper to prevent it becoming too dark.
- Cool in cake pan for 10 minutes. Finish cooling on a wire rack. Store in airtigh tin until ready to ice – see Card 9.
TO STORE: Can be stored for several weeks in an airtight tin.
To prepare for baking rich cakes: Line bottom with double round of brown and then wax paper, line sides with wax paper, tie a band of brown paper around outside.
Printed in CANADA. ©Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd. 1967