1 cup sugar
1 cup sifted* cake flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 1/2 cups milk
1 pkg (3 1/4 oz) vanilla pudding and pie filling mix
2 squares unsweetened chocolate
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1. In large bowl, let eggs warm to room temperature.
2. Preheat oven to 350F. At medium speed, beat eggs until thick and lemon colored. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, until very thick and light – about 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, sift flour with baking powder and salt. In measure comp, combine 1/4 cup water, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and lemon juice. Blend flour mixture, one third at a tim, into egg mixture, alternately with water mixture. Beat 1 minute.
4. Turn into 2 ungreased, 9-inch layer pans, dividing evenly. Bake 25 minutes, until surface springs back when pressed with fingertip. Invert pans, setting rims on 2 other pans. COol 1 hour. Make filling: Make pudding as label directs, reducing milk to 1 1/2 cups; add 1 teaspoon vanilla. Cool; refrigerate, with sheet of waxed paper placed directly on surface, several hours.
5. Make Glaze: In small saucepan, melt chocolate and butter over low heat. Remove fom heat; add sugar and 3/4 teaspoons vanilla, mixing until smooth. Stir in 2 21/ to 3 tablespoons hot water, one teaspoon at a time, until glaze is of pouring consistency.
6. To assemble: On cake plate, put cake layers together with filling; pour glaze over top, letting it run down sides. Refrigerate – about 1/2 hour. Makes 8 servings.
*Sift before measuring
©Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.