2 pkg (10-oz size) frozen corn, thawed and drained
3 eggs, well beaten
1 teaspoon grated onion
1/4 cup unsifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
2 cups light cream
1 can (4 oz) pimientos, drained and coarsely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 325°. Lightly grease a 1 1/2 quart, shallow baking dish.
2. In large bowl, combine corn, eggs and onion; mix well.
3. Combine flour, salt, pepper, sugar, and nutmeg. Stir into corn mixture.
4. Add butter, cream, and pimientos; mix well. Pour into prepared dish. Set dish in pan. Pour hot water to 1-inch depth around dish.
5. Bake, uncovered, 1 hour, or until pudding is firm and knife inserted in center comes out clean. Serve hot. Cut into squares.
Makes 8 servings
© Copyright 1973 by The McCall Publishing Co. All rights reserved. Printed in U.S.A.
4 slices bacon
1 cup onion, thinly sliced
1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 cups canned green beans, drained
1/2 cup reserved bean liquid
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon wine vinegar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup slivered blanched almonds
Fry bacon until crisp, remove from skillet and set aside. Drain off all but 2 tablespoons of drippings. Saute onion and mushrooms until just tender but crisp. Add drained beans to skillet. Blend bean liquid, soy sauce, vinegar, cornstarch and honey. Pour into skillet and cook over low heat until sauce thickens slightly. Add slivered almonds and stir. Place in serving dish and top with crumbled bacon.
Serves: 6 to 8
Preparation time: 45 min
Approximate calories per serving: 80
San Francisco Bean Salad
Recipe & Photograph courtesy of Curtin Publications, Inc., New York, NY ©1973