Cooking time: 30 mins.
Preparation time: 20 mins.
Main cooking utensil: deep covered casserole
Oven temperature: 325-350°F
Oven position: center
For 4 people you need:
4 large herring
2/3 cup white vinegar
2 bay leaves
1 small onion
2 red-skinned eating apples
2/3 cup sour cream*
*You can buy cartons sour cream or use yogurt or fresh cream plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice
1. Remove heads, intestines and backbones from herring, leave about 1/2 inch of bone at tail end.
2. Roll herring, start at the head end and secure rolls by piercing fish with backbone left at the tail end.
3. Put fish into casserole, add vinegar, peppercorns, bay leaves, and sliced onion with scant 2 cups water.
4. Cover dish with lid and bake for time and at temperature given.
5. Cool in the liquid, then drain.
6. Skin and dice cucumber.
7. Core apples, leave skin on. Cut half apple into slices, dice the remainder.
8. Mix diced apple and cucumber.
9. Mix with cream and seasoning.
TO SERVE: Arrange cucumber mixture on a long dish, place herring rolls on top, garnish with apple slices, dipped in lemon juice, and parsley.
TO VARY: Dice herrings after cooking, mix with diced apple, onion, cucumber, add 2 diced hard-cooked eggs, 1 small diced cooked beet, 3 diced sweet dill pickle. Put into mold and leave for 1 hour.
PRINTED IN CANADA ©Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd. 1967