Cooking time: 15 mins. frying, 25 mins. baking
Preparation time: 15 mins.
Main cooking utensil: either skillet or roasting pan
Oven temperature: 400-425°F.
Oven position: above center
For 8 people you need:
1 lb. ground beef
1 medium-sized potato
2 medium-sized onions
pinch mixed herbs
8 sandwich buns
rings raw onion
- Mix ground beef, grated potato, onions, herbs, seasoning, and egg together.
- Form either into round or square patties.
- Either fry in a little hot fat turning carefully or bake on a well-greased pan.
- Toast buns and butter if wished.
- Put the hamburgers on buns and keep warm until required – do not overcook otherwise they dry and toughen.
- Garnish with raw onion rings, slices of apple dipped in lemon juice, olives and candied cherries on toothpicks, chopped scallions, and yogurt (or mayonnaise) and parsley.
TO SERVE: Hot with knives and forks and salad, or make smaller so they can be heated with fingers, see Card 24.
TO VARY: Omit the grated raw potato and add a little flour to bind; add chopped parsley and little Worcestershire sauce.
TO STORE: Make beforehand, wrap in foil.
PRINTED IN CANADA. ©Copyright Paul Hamlyn Ltd. 1967